Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Say hello to Sara

Many of you are probably wondering what's going on with my vacation fill-in, Sara Robinson, aka Mrs. Robinson, who's been busy much of the past month helping me out while I was off watching whales.

When I got back and had a chance to read through Sara's work -- which is still ongoing, since she's working at wrapping up her series on "Tunnels and Bridges" -- I was so impressed that I asked her if she was interested in making it a permanent arrangement of sorts. She readily agreed. (In the next day or so I'll put up a complete list of links to the series in the sidebar.)

I should add that the response I received from readers was overwhelmingly positive, in some cases powerfully so. The only really negative note came from an old friend and ally who, strangely, chose to radically misinterpret what she was saying; something, I suspect, that is likely to befall either of us.

I decided to do this, after nearly four years of running Orcinus as a purely solo blog, not so much to ease up my workload but to help fill out a lot of what I do write. Sara's background in technology and futurism complements much of what I do because, while I tend to focus on identifying problems and areas of concern, Sara actually thinks about what we can do about it. It's a good symbiosis, and brings to my mind the superb way that Digby and Tristero work off each other.

Sara has been a regular commenter here for some time and I've found that her insights have been so good that at times I've wanted to just post them. So, rather than do the work myself, I've basically enabled her to do it.

I think you've all seen too that Sara is a superb writer, and it's my expectation that the added practice here will only make her better.

Orcinus will continue to be what it has always been: A place where blog readers can go to get information and analysis, as well as some deeper insights, that you can't find anywhere else. Sara, I think, will just add to that depth.

No comments: